Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sisterhood of the Ray-Ban Aviator sunglasses

At the most unfortunate event I got to meet all of my maternal side's female cousins. specifically my uncle's daughters. And two of their friends.

Let me mention before anything else that I happen to be a very late arrival so much so that I'm only a few years older than most of the offspring of these cousins. Plus I'ven't (double apostrophe..double apostrophe!!!) had the chance of spending time with these cousins as they've been abroad. I only got to see them during their visits to SL and that too only a few hours' exposure. Now, I met my cousins..and spent arguably the most time we've ever spent talking/sharing with them.

What amazed me /drew attention first was how crazy they were. Good crazy. Make you laugh forgetting where you are kind of good crazy. Sometimes school girl crazy. These are 50 something (one or two almost 50) highly enthusiastic funny beautiful women with kids & careers. Now I must admit I hadn't given my cousins -male or female- much thought. Much less to the fact what happens/how one feels about turning 50.

Now, so far in my life, I've seen women who are nearing or having entered the 50's moaning about one or more of the below:
-Children
-Children with exams on the horizon
-Children's marriage
-aches & pains & newly discovered ailments
-family problems

To top it off, haven’t seen many of them laugh out loud.

I am sure my cousins and their friends have enough & more of the above mentioned issues and I am sure they must moan about it but they had a much more positive side to them. And here I thought (for however mini seconds the thoughts lasted) that becoming >50 was boring and full of maladies. HA! to me.

Maybe it was the emotional force/vulnerability of the event but I'd like to think that I formed & felt a stronger bond with these lovely women. Being married and not so much part of the 20's club could be the reason. I felt like I belonged.. To a certain generation. So, here's a big hug to all of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as the wiser people say ..

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."--AL

So u managed your first "Double Clitic" :)