Saturday, June 05, 2021

Well... Quarantine made me do it.

I sat watching the waves yesterday, day 3 of quarantining on the fair shores of Lanka. Watching them is I found a bit more productive than my attempts at meditating. They soothe, take thoughts away until you are left with what you set out to have during meditation = no thoughts. 

then a coconut from the tree that leans over the water drops and coconut begins a slow dance of what I thought not too far from what  looks like life. being pulled in different directions by forces outside its control. Then someone comes along, rescuing it, and carries it away with his dog in tow. again outside it's control.. My attention now drawn to the dog frolicking in the waves, I smile, thinking of Charlie. I wonder who walked past the house today and set off his barks. and smile more as I think if his midnight zoomies. 

I went to the hammock with my book, watching the waves I dozed off for what seemed like at least half an hr, but was only few minutes. I wake up to see a monitor lizard. It too watched the waves and moved away after sometime. But not before it caught the resident young human's attention, who dragged her mother - so she could peek from behind mum. They go off for a walk and I return to my book. 

After lunch I watch a tiny hermit crab, either inspecting a new shell or moving into it. I point it to the little one and she squats about a meter away pushing hair out of her eyes. big beautiful bright eyes. with which she shot lasers at me the day before, I have no idea why. As we watch the crabs I don't get lasers, but no smile either. I am hopeful for today. I am told she turns three next week. With her mum, we watch the few crabs that are moving about, the ants and the dog.  

During a stroll around the pool I discover a few orchids. I think I shall take a dip when the sun's not too shy to show it's face a bit more. For now I am content with watching the rough monsoonal sea and the rain.

Late afternoon visit to the hammock was cut short as the wind picked up, howling through the trees and the open corridors.  I attempted some Netflix but soon grew tired of it and settled for a nap. 

A couple of calls add to the beauty of the day. and with a happy heart I made it an early night.

Early this morning on day 4, I went down to watch the waves and to see if any shells were on shore. I see no shells but dirty oily looking froth on the water and some plastic washed ashore. I think of the leached pollutants and the impacts from the ship that burned and has now sunk beneath the waves. Rain that's lasting till now arrives and I get back inside the building.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe that you are still blogging, always a fan of your writing. please if you ever visit Melbourne we would like to do a meet up with you. Regards ever loving fan of your writing.