Monday, December 13, 2004

Why is name changing a big issue? Isn't it personal?
I haven't changed my surname to that of my hubby's after our marriage. other than the two of us everyone else seems to be bothered about the fact that I have not done so!! I went in for a radio program/ad for the temple activities somewhere in March, there the presenter (who happened to be our friend) asked for the complete name and I gave the "unaltered". He looked at me as if I was a weird creature...Who was unaware of how things worked. He extended to offer his sympathies to my husband(Ha! The nerve!), telling how he got his wife to change her surname immediately after their marriage. "Poor soul" I thought, not even having the freedom to decide if she wanted to change the name...Having to bow down to pressure like this...and to think it was a love marriage(u'd think that he would have the manners to ask her first if she wanted the change)(her accepting and not accepting is besides the point!!)

Then he asked me what my title was..Mrs, or Miss(latter because I was still using my maiden name). I told him that, like "Mr" (for bachelors and married men alike) there's a term now called "Ms" for women. he argued that it was for divorced women.What The..! A detailed explanation followed about human rights and the like, which resulted in him using no title when he uttered my name!

yesterday after my debut in acting, one of my friends came up to me and said that she was surprised to note that I hadn't changed the name! WHAT?? hellooooo...it's a personal choice ....and there's no rule stating that u have to change ur name once you are married. if it's so then how come guys don't have to change theirs?

Grrrrr.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-*